Saturday, November 21, 2009

Air Card Died

We started having problems getting onto the internet a couple days ago and after hours of phone calls, the problem was narrowed down to the Verizon air card. Of course there were none in the Verizon stores around us, so a new replacement would have to be Fedexed to us.

Normally, that wouldn't be a problem. But, we were leaving the Morgan Hills Thousand Trails park in the morning. Hmmmmm......

Well, I called ahead to the San Benito TT in Paicines and they told me that they would accept a Fedex package even if we hadn't arrived yet. Well alrighty then!

A call back to Verizon resulted a free replacement but with their normal two business day delivery that meant we wouldn't see the air card until late Monday. No waaaaay! There was no way we were going to be without internet access almost 5 days. So, for an extra charge, they overnighted the card to us.

We had a short, pleasant drive south through the towns of Gilroy and Hollister arriving at San Benito Thousand Trails a little after noon. The propane tank was empty and that was taken care of. Then we picked out a nice, sunny spot.

At 3 o'clock, I marched up to the entrance ranger station and lo and behold there was a package for us. I got on the phone to Verizon immediately to activate the new card and just my luck, I got the new trainee on the phone. He read through his manual, talked to his supervisor, instructed me to make several mistakes and after 45 minutes finally got the card activated.

At that point, Doug was able to access the internet but now I had to call the 3G Store to get someone to walk me through resetting the Cradlepoint router. That only took me two phone calls to set up the passwords and security. (Nice people at the 3G Store. I highly recommend them.)

To make a looooong story short (hahaha) we are now back online and in another park. That's why you haven't heard from us.

Tomorrow, I'll have some photos of the park. We stayed here last year and really felt comfortable. Plus, they have a great book exchange! 'Bye til then.

No comments: